A purchasing professional certification is a credential given by industry organizations to professionals working in the purchasing and supply chain. There are several certification options available for aspiring purchasing professionals. These include the Certified Purchasing Professional (CPP), the Certified Professional Purchasing Consultant (CPPC), the Certified Green Purchasing Professional (CGPP), and the Certified Professional Purchasing Manager (CPPM). These are offered through three main organizations viz., the American Purchasing Society, the Institute for Supply Management, and the Universal Public Procurement Certification Council.
This article provides you with wholesome information on becoming a CPP.
What is CPP?
The CPP certification is offered by the American Purchasing Society. This credential certifies that a purchasing professional is qualified and experienced in the purchasing profession. Since the application also needs proof of a candidate’s financial trustworthiness, and references from business associates and colleagues, it certifies his ethics as well. Further, CCP candidates must also successfully finish several online programs provided by the American Purchasing Society.
Who is eligible to take up the CPP program ?
- 2 years of experience in the purchasing field plus a college degree, or 3 years experience in purchasing.
- Anyone working in the purchasing industry can take up this course. However, for receiving pricing discounts, one must either personally be the association’s member or work for a company which is its member.
- Exceptional written communication, spelling and grammar are must.
What are the prerequisites ?
- Financially responsible
- High ethical standards. The applicant has to pledge to maintain loyalty to his employer; and pursue the objectives of the organization.
- Maintain high standards of personal conduct.
- The applicant has to pledge to continuously improve his or her knowledge of materials, processes, and methods that influence the purchasing performance.
- He should pledge to insist and practice sound business principles in the conduct of all transactions.
- Get through the exam with a minimum score of 85%
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Gain a minimum of 100 points in three categories viz., academic performance, contribution to the industry, and experience.
- Taking up a 3-week online preparatory course.